Leonie's Lab Log

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Day 6 - Chinese Lesson in the Lab

Day 6 - Chinese Lesson in the Lab

When we came to the lab, Ni showed us her new PCR result. This time she didn't dilute the sample and she had very nice bands. So, she concluded that there are not many DNA in the sample, hence there was no need for dilution and she asked us to redo our PCR.

While waiting for our PCR to be finished, Ni showed us how to isolate plasmid from the bacteria cells. She expected us to do the same after she finished hers. Actually both Shen Qian and I had done this before but we couldn't recall every single steps so we just watched how Ni did her mini-preps.

Since we incubate our inoculation in 30 degree (the incubator for 37 degree is broken and has not been repaired), we need to wait for longer time for the bacteria cells to be ready for plasmid isolation. While waiting, we went to student lounge to do our own stuff. I brought my Chinese text book with me and started reading while Shen Qian was reading her German. Wang Li corrected my prounounciation. I still could not believe it that he is only 1 year older than me and he is currently doing his PhD... I feel so left behind... Sigh....

After about an hour, we started our mini-preps. I stopped in the middle of my preparation as I need to leave for RA meeting. I froze my pellet while Shen Qian continues with her preparation. After I went back from my meeting, I continue my plasmid isolation but I didn't have enough time to finish it. So, in the end, I just stopped at the incubation step and helped them to autoclave (sterilize the laboratory equipment) pipette tips. Sometimes Shen Qian played a prank with Dr Li Mingyou by pasting a tape with "I am a bad guy (in Chinese character)" on his back.

At around 6 pm, Shen Qian, Mingyou and I went for dinner. During the dinner, we talked about some of the people in the lab who had obtained their PR then Mingyou mentioned about his intention of buying HDB flat but he couldn't since he's still single. We then persuaded him to find a girlfriend but he said that he's too busy that he didn't have time to get to know girls. He sounded very desperate that day... Sigh.... I am wondering whether I would be like him in the future, a desperate PhD holder....

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home