Leonie's Lab Log

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Day 3 - Lab meeting (Saturday, 16 May 2009)

Day 3 - Lab meeting (Saturday, 16 May 2009)

On the third day, we had a lab meeting at S2 building. This was my first lab meeting. When I arrived there, I could not enter the room as I did not have an access, luckily a nice gentleman helped me to open the door. I came too early and apparently only Dr. Xu was there.

When everyone was ready, Prof Hong introduced Shen Jien (a Honour Student) and I (the UROPS student) to the whole team as we were still new. After we have one round of introduction, he told everyone about the new water circulation system in our fish tanks and persuade them to speak english all the time. Well, all of them except for me came from China and they speak Chinese most of the time.

The speakers for the day was Yanyan and Zhendong. Yanyan talked about gene targetting of p53 gene by homologous recombination in medaka ES cell. By the end of his presentation, he also mentioned that he wanted to do a further experiment in combination of p53 and NOS3 genes but Prof Hong discouraged him as both gene used the same anti-biotic resistant. Thus, the selection of the successful tranformed cells will not be effective. Zhen Dong talked about nanod (a gene that maintain prulipotency of the cell) in medaka and zebrafish. Prof Hong commented about how he present the data as well as the needs for statistical evidence.

I left in the middle of the meeting as that day I have to attend RA training but I did learn something about data presentation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home